As you prepare for our event, take a few tips from us on participating in a 5K in-person or virtual.
If you are a first-time or experienced runner, you need to prepare yourself for a 5K in-person or virtual.
Hopefully the following tips will assist in setting you up for a Virtual WIN on race day!
- Prepare for the city or location you are visiting. Always check the city or park for guidance on running or walking. Most venues offer tips specific to their location.
- Define your motivation and set a goal. First, decide why you want to run a 5K. Get in shape, preparing for 10K, or check on your bucket list? Start with the end in mind. If your only goal is to sign up for the AMCP Foundation 5K you can cross this off your first quick win! If you want to achieve a certain time, then determine that time, write it down and train for it. Setting a goal keeps you motivated.
- Create a training plan. How many days a week? What is your current mileage? If it’s at least one day a week for 3 miles you can cross this off your list too—another quick win! However, if you are new to running, we suggest starting slow and being consistent. How many days a week can you run?
Feel free to tweak the following sample training plan so that it works for you:
Week 1: ½ mile 3 days a week with 1 mile on Sat. or Sunday
Week 2: 1 mile 3 days a week with 1.5 miles on Sat. or Sunday
Week 3: 1.5 miles 3 days a week with 2 miles on Sat. or Sunday
Week 4: 2 miles 3 days a week with 2.5 miles on Sat. or Sunday
Week 5: 3 miles 3 days a week with 3.1 miles on Sat. or Sunday
- Schedule it. Schedule an appointment with yourself, write it on your calendar and keep your appointment!
- Start training now and build endurance. Start with the end in mind. If you want to achieve a certain time, then determine that time, write it down and train for it. Gradually build your endurance by running a little each day and work your way to your goal.
- Access your nutrition. Determine which foods power you up or drag you down. Are you staying hydrated? Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water or a sports beverage. Eat lots of fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, and plant-based proteins.
- Where will you run? Are you a treadmill or outdoor runner? Find a course that’s convenient to get to, that you’ll enjoy running on and that keeps you motivated to get out and run! If a treadmill is your thing, go for it, just make it fun and motivational!
- Check out your shoes and running attire. Do you need new shoes? How do your run clothes fit? Visit a running store and try on several pairs of shoes and take a run in them to make sure they’re the right ones. Trust your instincts…. just like people, you’ll know if they’re the right ones for you! Remember, it’s worth the investment to be well supported.
- Recruit an accountability partner. In person is great but virtual works too. You want someone that will hold you to your plan, encourage you and keep you motivated!
- Visualize! Visualize crossing the finish line, achieving your goal, having fun while training and enjoying the experience. Visualization will go a long way in keeping you motivated during training days!
- Need a little extra motivation? We all need motivation… here are the results for our Nexus 2022 5K run. As you can see your AMCP Foundation friends are running and being active, we can all support each other to be better than we were yesterday. Our first place female and male runners are Rochelle Yang and Jason Lynch.
- Celebrate! Yay you…YOU did it! How are you going to celebrate? Planning your celebration in advance will give you something to look forward to and keep you on pace to your own 1st place!
Stay Connected! Share your 5K journey on social media using the hashtags #AMCPFdn and #AMCP2022.
Always remember, You Can Do This!